August 4, 2016





An early morning and an early night


Even though we had only gone to bed past midnight, our inner clock woke us up early. So by 6.30 we were wide awake. We stayed in bed for a little longer watching a little TV, before Tom got up and got some coffee on. We still had the cake, which we had not cut the day before and it made for a perfect breakfast treat.

We then got ready to head out, trying to make rope drop at the Magic Kingdom, but failed, we only made it to the entrance by 9.15. No problem in being late, but I did have a problem. A few days before we had left on the trip I had purchased 2 pairs of new shoes, sandals being one pair and a pair of sneakers being the other. I had a similar pair at home and they were like walking on clouds, soft and you never felt anything. These sneakers had the same feeling when I tried them on in the shop. Now that I had walked the short walk from Bay Lake Tower to the Magic Kingdom I could feel that I had blisters on both heels. So, what to do? Well, I remembered that there was a first aid station right past Casey’s, so that was where we were headed.

In we went and within a few seconds a very nice cast member handed me several bandaids and sitting down on the sofa, I put on the bandaids. Carefully back into the shoes, tried a step or two, no problem and off we went. Outside we enjoyed the view of the castle with the clear blue sky beneath it and I reached into my small camera pocket for my camera. Yikes, I had had it in my hand when we had gone into the first aid station. Now Tom was heading back, hoping it would still be there. And it was, still sitting on the sofa where I had put on the bandaids. Camera in hand we walked over to the Jungle Cruise, thinking that we might be able to get on with just a short wait, since we had missed it the day before.

 The park was still “empty” and indeed we walked up to the ride and there were just a few people in line and we walked onto the ride. The skipper was a hoot and even though we had heard the spiel quite often he had us all in stitches.

Being such a short time after the horrible incident with the little boy at the Grand Floridian, the skipper very well maneuvered around the crocodiles by pulling everyone’s attention to the other side. Soon it was time to get off again and we headed over to Pirates of the Caribbean. Just a five minute wait, so got in line and again just walked onto the ride, or right up to the gates. There we stood for quite a while while boats went through without people in it. And after a few minutes of waiting quite the line had formed and we were finally allowed to get into a boat and get on our way. Once we got off we took a restroom break and then slowly strolled over to the Haunted Mansion.

Again we got in line and even though there was a short walk we were inside the first room within a few minutes. Surprise, surprise once we left the stretching room there was quite the line, as they sent off every other doom buggy empty. But finally they started filling them all and we were swept forward and boarded our ride. Once we got off we were greeted by a Florida grey sky and decided that since we only had had a small slice of cake for breakfast it would be the perfect time to have some lunch. So we started walking over to Columbia Harbour House, were handed a menu at the entrance and got in line. And soon we had our tray in hand and were heading upstairs to find a window table.

There were several available and when we sat down we were surprised to see that it had started to rain. Well, not quite rain, it was pouring down. So we took our sweet time to enjoy our lunch. We had ordered a cup of New England Clam Chowder and the Battered Fish Plate served with coleslaw and french fries. And after we had eaten we checked our messages and posted some photos until the rain had subsided. We headed out again into the sunshine and walked right onto our first FP+ of the day, Peter Pan’s Flight. The regular line was pretty long and so was the FP line, but it moved quickly and we were soon flying over London.

When we got off it was already time to head over to the next FP of the day, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Again, we were so lucky to be in the FP line as the regular line was over an hour long. Tom asked for last row again and we were granted our wish and soon found ourselves laughing as we rode that fun runaway mine train. We still had quite some time left until our next ride, so we started strolling towards Pecos Bill, but then decided to head up to the train as it was just rolling in. I didn’t think we would make it on that train, but we did and with a little time to spare, but soon we were on our way to Fantasyland. When we got off we checked out the Big Tent, watched  Dumbo fly by and then finally walked over to the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

We really enjoyed the convenience of the FP, and again were on the ride within just a few minutes. Once we got off the ride we decided to leave the park for now. But not without a ride on our favourite ride, the People Mover. And this time it was up and running and we enjoyed our trip around Tomorrowland. After that we returned to our room, relaxed for some time and then went to our car to go and do some shopping. First off we went to Walgreens for some medications we needed and our next stop was Publix. We stocked up on beers and  soft drinks and some staple food items and a few things we still needed for the fish extender on the cruise. While we were inside Publix the skies had turned grey again and we headed straight back to our resort after finishing our shopping.

Luckily we made it to our room without getting wet. We were both pretty tired, so after putting away our groceries we took a short nap. When we got up again we could see that it had been raining again and by now it was time for dinner. We put our groceries out on the table, made some salad and had some sandwiches. We even shared a small slice of cake for dessert. Tired as we were we thought about ditching the FP that we had been able to score earlier that day, a FP for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. But then we knew that we wanted to ride it again, so we got dressed, put on our Magic Bands and this time without any bags headed over to the Magic Kingdom. We walked right over to Big Thunder Mountain, passed all the people in the standby line, got on and had a blast while riding this fun ride. Once we got off, we strolled right towards the exit again, waved goodbye to the castle for the day and went right back to our hotel room. We were both dead tired and decided that it was time to catch up on much needed sleep, especially since the next day we wanted to be there for Morning Extra Magic Hours and lateron meet with our friend Michelle, her daughter Angelina and Hannah, Michelle’s son’s girlfriend.