Sept 04, 2009




Trick or Treat, Part 1


We got up early and got ready to head out and drive over to the Animal Kingdom Lodge for breakfast at Boma. Once we had parked the car we made our way inside the Lodge and checked in at the podium about 10 minutes before our ADR. We were called and were led to a table at the windows at the back of the restaurant a few minutes later.

A very nice server greeted us, asked if we had been to the restaurant before and we ordered West African Frunch and some Hot Tea for myself and Coffee for Tom. Once our drinks were delivered we went to the buffet for some food. We both took a plate full of Hot Offerings and enjoyed them very much. While we were eating the server came out with a small plate with 4 sweets and a Happy Birthday card, since it was noted on our reservation that it was my birthday trip.

They all were very good. Later Tom went to get some sweet offerings and came back with a huge plate full of Pastries and a bowl full of chunky Fruit with yoghurt. Even though the yoghurt and fruit did not look very appetizing, it did taste very nice. We sampled all the pastries that he had gotten and some were better than others, but we just could not finish them. After our breakfast we strolled through the resort and the shop and watched the animals for a while before we went back to the car and drove to the Disney Hollywood Studios for the morning.

We parked the car, hopped on the tram and went through the turnstiles. On Hollywood Boulevard we had some Photopass photos taken before we walked over to Toy Story Mania.

First we picked up a Fastpass and then we got in line since it only said 40 minutes. Well, it actually wasn’t even 40 minutes, we were on the ride within half an hour. We started aiming and shooting at the midway games and once we hit the second screen, the ride stopped.

There were announcements that the ride was to start again soon, but after some time we all knew it wasn’t going to happen and they started getting people out of the ride vehicles and walk them towards the exit.

Tom took a few photos of the broken down ride before he was told to stop by a castmember. When we got to the exit we were handed a special re-entry pass and were told they did not know for how long the ride would be down. Since we were walking towards the “One Man’s Dream” exhibit anyway we decided to do that next. We took our time looking at the exhibits and really enjoyed the movie at the end of the show.

Next stop was the Great Movie Ride. We were lucky since we were the last people allowed on the ride with literally no wait. Even though we have been on the ride numerous times, it never fails to be fun. Once we got off the ride we walked over to the New York and San Francisco sets and then headed toward Tower of Terror. There was a short wait on the standby line but once we got towards the entrance of the hotel it stopped and then moved very slowly.

The boiler room was full of people and it took a while until we were able to ride.

The ride itself was fun as always. We thought about doing it again, but the line had really backed up and we didn’t want to be waiting for so long again. But we wanted to check out how long the wait for Rock’n’Rollercoaster was and it was only 20 minutes, so we hopped in it. Within 15 minutes we were on the ride and enjoyed our “limo” ride. Since we had Fastpass tickets for Toy Story Mania we walked over there and found the ride to be open, so we got in the Fastpass line and rode it without any problems. By then we had to hurry up and get back to the car as we had a reservation at the Wave for lunch. When we parked the car at the Contemporary we were already a little late for our reservation, but the lady at the podium didn’t have any problem with us being late. She checked us in and within a few minutes we were seated in a nearly empty restaurant. We love the Wave and it is on our “to do” list every time we go to WDW, but we have never eaten lunch there.

We both wanted a starter and I chose the Seasonal Soup - with Chef's Accompaniment, which was Bacon and Sweet Corn soup, accompanied by a Jalapeno Corn Muffin. Tom had the Black Bean Chili - with pork tenderloin and Jalapeno Corn Muffin. We both enjoyed these very much. For his main course Tom chose Today’s Sustainable Fish with Edamame Stew and Cilantro Chutney. The fish that day was striped bass and it was really a wonderful dish.

I had the Spice-crusted Chicken Salad - with local greens, apples and crispy polenta croutons. It was a huge salad and was very good. Since dessert was included we ordered it. Tom had the No Sugar Added Desserts Chocolate-Mint Mousse, Fresh Berries with Panna Cotta and Vanilla Bean Créme Brûlée. I had my favourite, the Creamy Indulgence - Cheesecake with Raspberry Coulis, Coconut Panna Cotta with Passion Fruit Drizzle and Chocolate-Passion Fruit Mousse with Pecan-Olive Brittle. By the time the desserts were served the restaurant was completely empty and once we finished our desserts and settled the bill they closed the restaurant for lunch.

We had a look at the shops on the fourth floor before we went back to the car and went back to Old Key West, to rest a little before we went back to the Magic Kingdom for our first Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party. It is so nice to have that large villa and all the amenities that come with it, like the washer and dryer which we used quite often and that afternoon was no exception.

Travelling for 4 weeks is much easier if you can do your laundry in your villa. By late afternoon we packed our pumpkin ears and drove over to the Magic Kingdom for our first Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party and another Wishes Dessert Party. They still directed cars to parking spots at the carpark but we were lucky to get one close to the tram. We hopped on the tram, rode it to the Ticket and Transportation Center and boarded the next Monorail to the Magic Kingdom.

The Magic Kingdom was packed! There was no way to ride any of the major attractions so we just strolled through the park and got on the Peoplemover, which had a line too! They started directing non party guests towards the exit by 6.30 and it got much better then. Tom and I went on Pirates with just a little wait and walked over to Fantasyland and got on Mickey’s Philharmagic.  Since there was still time before the Dessert Party we went through Alice’s Trick or Treat Path before we finally got in line for the Dessert Party.

We wanted to take photos of the buffet, so we knew we had to be in line early. There were 8 people in line before us and we waited for about 30 minutes, then it was our turn. While Tom went to find our table I went to take photos of the buffet. They had the same desserts as they had for the regular parties, but they were Halloween themed. Once I had finished taking photos we went to get our first plate full of desserts, sat down and enjoyed the party.

It was really fun munching on the desserts and watching the castle from there.

It was the first time watching Hallowishes and the fireworks did not disappoint even though I really enjoy them even more from Main Street.

Once the fireworks were over we went towards the Haunted Mansion, had our photo taken in front of the hoarse and rode the doombuggies. We went on Big Thunder and then found a nice spot to watch the parade. It was fun to see the Headless Horseman, who later got nicknamed the Horseless Headman. The Boo To You Parade was fun! Disney knows how to do a good parade. There were so many dancers and floats!

And even though this was the second parade, there were lots of people.

We hit every Trick or Treat station that was somewhere close and got on all the rides that had less than 20 minute wait and towards the end of the night there were quite a few rides that were virtual walk ons. The Photopass Photographers took "Magic Shots" and we got in line for those too. There were ghosts and witches projected onto the houses of Main Street and lots more decorations and pumpkins than during the day, so we had lots left to check out before we left the Magic Kingdom shortly after midnight. We got on the Monorail and the tram back to the car and arrived back at Old Key West around 12.45am and fell into our beds. It had been a long but fun and exciting day.