Aug 27, 2010




Getting to see The Atlantis, Palo and Pirates IN the Caribbean …. arrrgghhhhhh


Yes, we were up early enough to catch a glimpse of the dawn, but we got back into bed after taking a few photos. About an hour later we pulled into Nassau. We sat out on the verandah, well we more or less stood on the verandah and watched the ship dock in Nassau. Then it was time for us to get ready and have some breakfast, as we needed to be ready by 10.30 for our excursion to the Atlantis.

We went to Beach Blanket Buffet for breakfast and were amazed at the huge array of breakfast items. We filled our plates and found an outside table to leisurely enjoy our breakfast.

Once we had finished it we made our way back to the stateroom, picked up all the items needed for the day, or tickets and  headed down to our assigned meeting point. The room was full and people there were waiting for several excursions to start but we did manage to get a glimpse of Mr. Know it all and his wife, who obviously had signed up for some tour as well. Finally we all were divided into the actual tours and got our wristbands and there was Mr. Know it all, coming along with us!

We waved at them when they finally noticed us and tried to steer away from them when while walking down to the bus. Unfortunately they got on the same bus and we could hear him explain that he had been there and done that, to their poor neighbours. Once the bus got to the Atlantis we all walked over to the Aquarium with our guide. The different parts of the Aquarium were real interesting, but it was very hot and the constant in and out of buildings and changing of glasses really got to me and wore me out.

So by the time the tour was over we strolled through the shops for a little longer but even though we could have stayed for much longer we just hit the next bus back to the Wonder. Once we got there we walked back into Nassau as Tom wanted to find a souvenir at the Bacardi Store for a friend. Well, we didn’t actually find a souvenir, but Tom picked up a Bottle of rum to try and we got two Rum cakes, which we wanted to try, before we decided if we should get some as presents for friends. After leisurely walking along the main street and hitting some of the souvenir stores we made our way back over to the ship. Getting through customs was a breeze and it didn’t take long and we were able to walk onto OUR ship via the red carpet. Why do I mention this you ask? Because the poor passengers on the ship that had docked next to us weren’t as lucky as Disney cruisers!

By then it was way past our regular lunch time and we were getting hungry, so we walked up to Goofy’s Galley to get ourselves some lunch. I had some nice crisp Green Leaves with a Balsamic Dressing and a Grilled Mozzarella and Tomato Sandwich. Tom got a Grilled Ham and Cheese sandwich and two Chicken Caesar Wraps. We found a nice shady table and Tom went and got some Diet Coke. We shared all our sandwiches, wraps and salad and everything was really good. Since we were sitting really close to Pluto’s Doghouse, we decided to share a Hot Dog as well. We had had one at WDW, and did not like it at all, so here we were giving the Hot Dog another chance. And even though we had it without all the condiments this one was really good. Once we had finished our lunch we walked around the deck and even up to the top deck before we hit Scoops for a bit of ice cream.

There is a soft ice self service station and we both got a cup of Vanilla and Chocolate swirl, with chocolate and caramel sauce. After we had scooped down our dessert we walked back to our stateroom, sorted out our Fish Extender gifts for that day and went out to deliver them.

When we had finished handing them out it was nearly time for the Wonder to leave Nassau and we didn’t want to miss seeing us leaving Nassau, so we picked up our cameras and went up onto the top deck. We watched the ship opposite for a while, walked around a bit and finally run into a Pirate. Pirate Goofy that is and two Cast Members who accompanied him. We were so surprised to see him out and about but the Cast Members kindly offered to take photos of Goofy and us and we were so happy to get such a fun photo without waiting in line. Shortly after we left Nassau and sailed off into the sunset! 

We wanted to walk around the deck and when we were halfway there we saw a bride and groom heading the other direction on the other side of the deck! Our second wedding on that trip – we were lucky! But by then it was time to head down and get changed before walking down to the Walt Disney Theatre to watch “Toy Story, the Musical”. We sat in the upper part of the theatre, right next to the stairs and were waiting for the show to begin.

This was when a family of at least 10 people came and sat next to us and in the row ahead of us. Had we known how they would behave during the show we would have fled and sat somewhere else! They were loudly talking and having kids stand on their laps. We were glad we had another chance to see the show because they definitely ruined it for us. After the show was over we went back to our stateroom, emptied the goodies out of our Fish Extender and relaxed on the verandah for a while before it was time for our dinner at Palo. We were quite looking forward to it, as it meant we would not run into Mr. Know it all, who had let us all know that he would not pay even more money when he would be served at his assigned restaurant anyway.

Once the Maitre D’ had taken our names it did not take long and we were led to our table. Our server was Oliver from Australia and he told us that Michele, our server from 2009 was on vacation at the moment and was supposed to go back to the Dream once he got back. We were quite happy with Oliver, who was very talkative and friendly and fun, so we started studying the menu after we had received some bottled water with a slice of lemon and ordered our drinks, a Whiskey Sour for Tom and a Strawberry Daiquiri for me.

Before the drinks were delivered we received the Specialita' Del Palo: Antipasto Freddo, Prosciutto, Bresaola, Parmesan Reggiano, Marinated Olives and Sun-dried Tomatoes and the Pane Casalingo, Freshly-baked Bread in the Pizza Oven, served with Palo's Famous Dips. Grissini Sticks, Olive Rolls, Ciabatta Rolls and Six Grain Wholemeal, together with Palo’s Homemade dips, Olive Tapanade, Aioli and Roasted Pepper. All of the Antipasti, dips and bread were heavenly and we kept snacking on them. We ordered our starters and they came out promptly. Tom had the Tuna Carpaccio and Lemon Oil Dressing, Thin Slices of Ahi Grade Tuna brushed with their Chef's Special Lemon Oil. Michele had brought out a plate of it for all of us to share the year before and it had blown us away and it did not disappoint this year either. 

I ordered the Melanzane al Funghetto, lightly-salted Eggplant sautéed with Garlic and Parsley served with a Balsamic Dressing, which was just a perfect starter. Once we had finished our starters Oliver brought out the palate cleanser! Lime sorbet. Tart and cold and so refreshing! We loved it. Next were the main courses. I ordered the Beef Tenderloin "Palo", served with Palo's Gorgonzola Sauce. It was cooked to perfection, the meat melted in your mouth, the potatoes were devine and the Gorgonzola sauce had just the right amount of blue cheese to be not overpowering, the veggies still crunchy - what else can ask for! Tom had the Grilled Monkfish with Braised Radicchio and Prosciutto, served with creamy mascarpone Polenta. Oliver introduced it to us as the dish with the long antennas! It was pronounced very tasty! We both had decided on the same dessert! Palo’s famous Chocolate Soufflé With Vanilla Bean and Chocolate Sauce. We were given a choice of both sauces, but since we could not decided on which one to have, we just had both! Every dinner at Palo is finished with a "farewell drink". Lemoncello with lemon sorbet! It is really good! Fresh and lemony and the perfect ending to a perfect dinner!

We finished our dinner just in time for the Pirate Party and the fireworks!So we hurried down to our stateroom and changed into some more comfortable clothes. It was fun to find a towel elephant on our beds this time.  Then it was time to hit the top deck and find a spot to watch the party. The Disney Villains took over Minnie’s deck party but finally there was Pirate Mickey to the rescue.

Right after he had his grand entrance the fireworks started and I looked around if there were any other cruise ships close by. And yes, there was at least one very close to ours. Once the fireworks were over we walked down to the onboard shops and browsed and shopped a little before we finally went back to our stateroom for a little rest. We needed to get up early the next day – Castaway Cay was calling our name.